Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tuesday Gestures I

Inspired by the recent and long overdue publication of Walt Stanchfield's notes, "Drawn To Life", I decided to make time for Tom Gately's Tuesday Gesture Class.


Tom was one of Walt's most devoted students and is to this day one of the master's greatest advocates, well committed to the transmission of his legacy. He structures our drawing sessions here at Pixar very much like Walt did at Disney in the 80s and 90s - by asking us to do quick, economic, story and character driven drawings. Here you don't learn about bones or muscles (though anatomy should be second nature), you are not praised for acute or accurate observation (though believable perception is a must), but rather you are encouraged to find the story in each pose and to push it into a strong and clear statement. What every animation drawing should be.

Here's a humble offering from my latest attendance:





13 comments:

Scott said...

Great work Daniela,
I just finished reading these books, and I think you really captured the essence of the gestures. Love to see your gesture work, great line work for me to aspire to. Thanks so much for sharing.
$(@TT

chromasketch said...

nice work!

Randeep Katari said...

Wow...these are beautiful. I love them all, but I think the last 3 are my favourites. Amazing, inspiring stuff!

R.

lillian chan said...

Dani, you blow my mind. These are beautiful!

Don Shank said...

these are awesome Dani!

Chris Palmer said...

These are completely gorgeous! I love the third one.

Bec said...

very beautiful, third and last are my faves! i'm very much looking forward to receiving those books in the mail soon...

Anonymous said...

Dani,

I like the 1st one and the last one. For the 1st one, it is like capturing the model's ackwardness of her body as though she is a recently unemployed worker who is trying out modeling in front of live audience for 1st time. For the last one, she has some attitude where she is getting even with her husband or boyfriend.

cK

Dani said...

Thank you so much, Scott!

Thanks, B!

Randeep, great, I'm glad you like those! Thank you.

Thanks Lil, I've really been enjoying your recent drawings too. Keep posting!!!

Thank you Monsieur Shank!

Chris, thanks!

Thanks, Bec! The books are amazing. Enjoy!

Thank you so much CK! I'm happy that these inspire stories! Searching for context is exactly what I did when I drew them, though my stories were more visual than anything... for some reason I kept thinking of "Miss Pas Touche" by Kerascoët.
Hope you've been well,

Dani

Emmanuelle.Walker said...

Great sketches! I like the 'fluidness' of your line!

Robert Islas said...

These are awesome! Nicely done.

Avner Geller said...

beautiful sketches! so loose and full of life :)really inspiring!

Federico Milella said...

Niiiiice!